
I need to reevaluate the reasons why I choose not to drink, smoke, have sex, and cuss. Is it because I want to be as pure and good as possible? If that is the only reason then I am living an empty life. My motive to seek after a pure life should be because I want to be able to love others better. My sin hurts others, just as other peoples sin hurt me, whether directly or indirectly. Think of one sin that doesn't hurt your relationship with God or with others. I can't think of one. Purity comes down to relationships. I should not strive after a righteous life for any other reason except to love others well.
I have had a judgemental spirit ever since I became a Christian. This is exactly the opposite of what God wants. He is showing me that as a follower of Jesus I should be a person with so much mercy and grace that it is overflowing out of my ears and nostrils!! I have been so blind to my own sin. So focused on what I shouldn't do, that I have overlooked opportunities to love others.
Please pray for me. That my critical spirit would be broken. That I would be full of TRUE grace. Grace that helps me to see others behind God's eyes, not my own. Have patience with me friends. I am learning and growing too. Forgive me for all the times I have hurt you.
True holiness is being set apart for God so that we can love others well.
Not just to be set apart so we can be "better" than everyone else.
Give me grace like rain.
2 comments:
Stephanie,
While I agree that all sin hinders our ability to love others, I would like to prepose that there are several underlying reasons.
There are some things that get directly in the way of loving someone else: lying, envy, getting physically intimate before you have a spiritual and emotional commitment.
There are some things that that change the way that people view you, so they put up a wall between you and them. You can't love them because they will not let you near. This could be things like: drinking, cussing, bragging, acting like you are better than them.
There are things that separate us from God. Without a right relationship with God, we can not love with God's love. These would be things like: trying to run your own life by your own rules, putting to much value on things, looking to others instead of God for strength.
In the end I think you are right on track. Like Jesus said, it is all about loving.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, Love your neighbor as yourself.
Luke 10:27
There are three commandments there:
Love God
Love yourself
Love your neighbor
Want God's most blessedness for others and yourself.
Doug
Cool.
Post a Comment