Monday, June 9, 2008

A Journey of Hope in the Midst of Poverty







I walked around L.A today with some sisters and I was on a mission to take pictures that displayed a journey of hope in the midst of poverty. All I saw were different people on different missions in life. Some were standing on the side waiting for a helping hand, other's were rushing to and fro to get to where ever they needed to be. Everyone seemed to be late for an important appointment. Too late to notice the poverty they pushed through to get to their beloved destination.









Where is the hope in poverty we wonder? We don't just wonder...we demand an answer.



The answer lies in prayer.



There is hope because of prayer.
Prayer changes our hearts, so we can change the world.






So I sat down at Union Station, took out my camera and focused on hands in the prayer position as the background of people rushing to and fro were blurry in the background. The people on the "sidelines" asking for help are not the only ones who need prayer. We all do. Our hearts have failed us. We need a God who is in the business of healing and redeeming. Let's partner in prayer for our hearts and the hearts of those around us.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your photograph very moving and it attracted my attention during a broad search for poverty & hope images - a superficial search to gather an idea as to how many out there and to what degree feel any degree of compassion for this plague on our earth. However, I must say, (and I know nothing of what else you may do to assist) but transcending specific religion I hope; I believe that prayer is about hope and selfless thought and has nothing to do with action - it must support sensitive and sensible hearts -but until God (any of the world's versions_ appear in magical form to delegate reason and responsibility to the world - I am so sorry - but we are alone in that sense. I am not saying that God does not exist by any means - but god -as the entity that encompasses us all in and with love and truth must be found in what we do on the earth we live on and in the life we are sure of - prayer is to guide us - it can not do things for us nor can it inspire others to do the same- if god made us human - for a reason - then - let us do amazing things with his vision and artful hands - let us refuse to allow others to suffer or starve - through action and as we seek moments of peace - then pray, but prayer alone seems meaningless and in a way - ignorant (for someone with no meal for days might pray for a cup of rice -but for anyone with ample access to factories of grain to pray for rice to find its way to distant tables lacks much sense and logic).. Please understand my respect for your beliefs as well as the simple statement of your photo.

J. Anne

I welcome your comments, discourse or thoughts.

Guinivere78@Yahoo.com
Guinivere78@yahoo.com