
Recently, I wrote a post titled "Love is overrated because it is underrated".
A friend commented on my statement:"love is not created. It just is."
He responded:
If you are talking about our love, then I would say it is dangerous to say that Love just is. True love, agape love, is not something that just is or just happens. Love is not a feeling, it is not simply a yearning. Love is a commitment, something you decide to do. Love is desiring God's most blessed life for the other person, even if that means it is a life without you.
His last line humbled me so much..."Love is desiring God's most blessed life for the other person, even if that means it is a life without you". I have refused to love in this way in the past because I am selfish. I am still getting God's love confused with the way people love. Our love is just a feeling, merely a yearning. Today, God reminded me that sometimes, loving someone means I can't be in their life.
Healing does not come easily. It comes when we stop picking at the wound. Patience.
Thank you Doug for the insight. This has been a breakthrough. :)
It is easier to mend a broken heart when we are not constantly faced with that person. Each time we meet, it feels as if we are picking at old wounds. As hard as it is to walk away, I want to and I need to..because love is a commitment and it is a decision. I have decided to begin loving you rightly. That means I will guard my heart, as well as yours... Lord help me to be faithful to You in learning how to love.
Healing does not come easily. It comes when we stop picking at the wound. Patience.
Thank you Doug for the insight. This has been a breakthrough. :)
It is easier to mend a broken heart when we are not constantly faced with that person. Each time we meet, it feels as if we are picking at old wounds. As hard as it is to walk away, I want to and I need to..because love is a commitment and it is a decision. I have decided to begin loving you rightly. That means I will guard my heart, as well as yours... Lord help me to be faithful to You in learning how to love.
1 comment:
Stephanie,
Your Welcome.
You are young, and unfortunately with wisdom comes age. God will bring people into your life to Love, sometime in small ways, other times it will take all you have to follow through.
When I first read your blogs I saw your searching and felt that God would use you. I've been reading your blogs, because in some small way I care about you and want to see you grow. I also keep reading your blogs because they are an encouragement to me to keep looking for and wrestling with God.
If you stop and look back at this last summer, can you see some opportunities that God put in front you where someone needed you to show them God's love? Did God put some stranger on your heart and you then felt compelled to hear their story and share yours with them?
Love is not some huge thing. Love is the little things done because someone else needs them done. Love is mowing someone's lawn, holding someone as they cry, making them laugh or telling them they need to straighten out.
I'm a Boy Scout leader and our slogan is, "Do a good turn daily." We should be looking for good to do all the time, but we get busy and the world distracts us. So we tell the boys that they need to make a special effort to do at least one good thing for someone else everyday. We even have a special coin that has the slogan on it. You put the coin in your left pocket every morning. When you do your good turn you move the coin to your right pocket. Every night you check to see which pocket it is in.
If you want to practice loving with God's Love, find someone to Love in a small way every day.
Post a Comment