Monday, June 29, 2009

NICK UPDATE!

Update from Nick's sister, Katherine de Guzman:

Hi All! Today, the doctor completely stopped the medication that paralyzes his muscles. He moved his arms, hands, legs a little, lips (but can't talk yet), opened his eyes half way and shook and nodded his head a little. He can hear us speak to him, but he's still heavily sedated so he's not fully aware of his surroundings yet. I think tomorrow, he should be able to move more than today, so I will keep you all posted. I will tell him the Lakers won too!


So, I went to see my brother today and he's doing the same: responding to us, understands what we say but can't speak yet. He's aware of his surroundings now, but still on low sedation. The doctor tried to see if he will be able to breathe on his own without help from the ventilator, but he wasn't... he was struggling to breathe. The doctor just found out today that he has pneumonia, so they will be treating it with antibiotics. Once they can get rid of the pneumonia, I think they will be able to wean him off the ventilator. I just hope that his lungs will get healthy soon and that he will be able to go home soon. It's so hard to see him laying there, with his arms tied down. He wants to get out of bed and move. He's frustrated and irritated. July 5th will be exactly one month of him being in the hospital. I do tell him everyday to stay strong, be patient, and that we're all praying for him to get better and all his friends miss him. He gets sad about not being able to see his mom....


In addition, he had a CT scan yesterday and it came out good. He does not have subdural hematomae anymore and there isn't anymore bleeding... so his brain is good now... just waiting for his lungs to get better...

No comments: