Monday, May 18, 2009

The Gospel






Recently went to a bible study in my hometown. I had been praying for a better understanding of what my faith is in, the Cross and Jesus Christs' death and resurrection. And guess what the topic is at the study....yup you guessed it. THE GOSPEL.

Here are the notes.


What is the Gospel, why is it good news to us?

The Gospel is Jesus dieing on the cross as punishment for our sins.
It is being at one with God, not because we deserve it,
but because God made a sacrifice that we could never make.
The good part of this news is not just that Jesus died but that
He conquered death and became alive again.
Death no longer has a sting.

What is the difference between the gospel and religion?

Religion makes us wonder if we ever did "enough" good things to get God to love us.
The Gospel says that Jesus finished it on the cross, and that He is enough.
Religion is about getting SOMETHING from God.
The Gospel is about getting GOD.
Religion sees hard times as punishment, the Gospel sees hardship as an opportunity for our faith to be purified.
Religion makes it all about me and my sinful past, the Gospel is all about God's new creation in me.
Religion says that if you obey, then God will love you.
The Gospel says that God loves you and that is why we obey.

Lord, save me from man's religion. Deliver me into the reality of the Gospel.




I have a funny story about Jesus.
Last Friday I was at school eating lunch with some friends and I asked them, "Am I the only one who feels like sometimes they just want to see Jesus right now, in the flesh, face to face?" My friends agreed. No joke, two seconds later, a guy sits down next to me and introduces himself as Jesus Maria and tells me that he was born on midnight of December 24.

Now.....I know that Jesus is humorous and I think he was playing a little joke on me.

I love those moments with God, when He answers your prayers in a playful, humorous way.

1 comment:

Douglas ClArke said...

Is there a story behind the picture of the wall?