Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Post Art Gallery Thoughts









My art gallery reception truly was a gift.
Not only was I able to see old friends and new friends together in the same room.
I was able to see my family drive through traffic on a Friday night just to support me.
For those who don't know, it has truly been a battle for me to remain a photojournalism major.
There has been a lot of pressure from family to choose a more "practical" career.
There has been many arguments and tense moments in my family over this issue.
It has been hard for me to explain to them why I have this passion for photography and why I want to pursue it despite the odds that are against me.

This is why my art gallery reception was bigger than just a party. It was a night when I showed my family who I am. They got to see a different side of me that I have not been able to reveal to them. I gave a speech to a crowd full of my loved ones from different seasons of my life. In my speech I stated that my passion for photography stems from my passion for God and His love for people. I want to photograph people because each person has value and in a sense I want to go deeper with the people I photograph. I want to know them for more than just their face value. I talked about a homeless man I met over winter break. I asked him if I could take a picture of him, and in disbelief he said "No, you don't want a picture of me... I am nobody." His response is a perfect picture of the wall we have each built up. We are scared to let people know us and to remember us because that means we must let them in. We have to face who we really are. I took his picture and said yes I do want a picture of YOU. Just you. He gave the sweetest smile in that portrait and I know that I saw a glimpse of God's heart in that moment.

A famous photographer, Berenice Abbott said: "Photography helps people to see better."

This is true. This is my purpose as a photographer and as a Christian. To point people to the light.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

I'm so glad to hear that you night went well.

God bless you and keep searching for his will.

Doug

Sarah Nicole said...

Steph! Your artwork has been truly an amazement to see...and I'm so blessed to get to see it and see that God has stirred this passion in you....that you want to see people in the same way that God sees them...with all the compassion and love that God gives to His children! :)

So sorry I couldn't make it....we had Servant Partners stuff going on, but I'm glad to see the FRUIT of the Lord's labor through what He has been teaching you and working through you!

Love your sista in Christ - Sarah Stoker

Taylor said...

It was tight.