




On a different note...
A few months ago I saw an ad on our campus website.
It read: Student artists interested in displaying artwork at the Titan Student Union sign up here.
I ignored the ad the first couple of times I saw it.
Finally, one day, I was feeling confident and I filled one out, praying that my artwork would find a home.
A week later, I got a call from a girl named Ashley and she wanted me to come into her office for an interview. I showed her my website with all my recent photos. She nodded and asked what the concept of my art gallery would be. Honestly, I had no clue.
But...somehow I started talking about justice and about the kids I worked with this summer in South L.A. Everything started making sense as I explained to her that I wanted my photos to depict the need for justice to be brought around the world and at home in our own neighborhoods. She sounded interested and told me she would call me.
A week later, I get a voicemail from Ashley. She told me all the spaces were full for the coming semester a.k.a STEPH YU GOT REJECTED.
I pouted. I frowned. I doubted myself and my art.
Then I pouted some more.
Then I got over it.
THEN....a week ago...I get a call from Ashley. She asks, "we have a spot open, are you still interested?". HECK TO THE YES I AM! :)
I have 8 photos in mind. Each picture marks a significant moment in my journey with God these past two years. There are pictures from the streets of L.A to an orphanage in Mexico.
As I lay in bed the night before my meeting with Ashley, I start envisioning the photos and words start coming to my mind.
"On the surface, all we see is a city of corpses. Homeless men and women who roam the streets, longing for a true home, yet never finding one warm enough for the bodies or their souls.
Take a closer look. An abandoned shoe is more than what it seems. It is a pair of feet which now walk barefoot, with its flesh against the man made concrete.
Look into the eyes of the child who walks this same path of injustice. He smiles only because he does not know that things could and should be better. He will find out, just like we all found out.
We are stuck in a cycle of injustice. It will only end when we reach our hands towards Heaven. Only then will we have hands of compassion and love which can truly change lives with just a touch."
This has become my Artist Statement.
After I write my last word, I breathe a breath of joy. My vision, my photography, my passion for Him is finally beginning to come together. What I realize now is that all the credit goes to Jesus. My sole purpose on this earth is to point others to God, using my words, actions, and most of all my love.
I am so excited to display these photos. Not because I am showing off my talent, but because these photos will be used to open peoples eyes and hearts to something greater than ourselves.
John 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease.
So come to CalState Fullerton's Titan Student Union anytime between Jan 20th to March 13th to see my gallery. I will also be having a reception on Friday, February 13th at 7:00 P.M.
2 comments:
Hooray!
Steph...your artist statement is so true and beautiful. What an amazing verbal statement of what everyone is searching for!
Laurel
Post a Comment